• You need to be a registered member to post a thread. Registration is free

Clubbing of fingers (no hypoxia)

Amal

Hello, I’m a healthy 22 year old male and I never realized how weird my nails were until my girlfriend made fun of me for them haha. Now, I’m kinda a little sketched out reading all these heart conditions. I’ve checked my SpO2 and it’s always 99-100%. I’m not sure if I should have any tests done? Should I actually be worried?

Johnsilva

Clubbing isn’t from hypoxia. We think it occurs because small molecules that usually get filtered out by the lungs somehow bypass the lungs and get out into the arterial system, then deposit out in the most distant capillaries, the nail beds. In order to bypass the natural “filter” of the lungs, there needs to be some degree of shunting. In diseases like CF, severe copd, or congenital heart disease, we know what is causing the shunt. In your case, you may have developed a small arteriovenous malformation in your lungs somewhere for no particular reason, which allows some small amount of your venous return to by pass your lungs before getting to the arterial system...

Or it’s just a normal variant.

Amal

Clubbing isn’t from hypoxia. We think it occurs because small molecules that usually get filtered out by the lungs somehow bypass the lungs and get out into the arterial system, then deposit out in the most distant capillaries, the nail beds. In order to bypass the natural “filter” of the lungs, there needs to be some degree of shunting. In diseases like CF, severe copd, or congenital heart disease, we know what is causing the shunt. In your case, you may have developed a small arteriovenous malformation in your lungs somewhere for no particular reason, which allows some small amount of your venous return to by pass your lungs before getting to the arterial system...

Or it’s just a normal variant.
That’s actually super helpful and interesting. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Mason

Oh my goodness - my wife's nails have always been like this since the day I met him and I never knew it had a name. Thank you for sharing! If it helps, I’ve known my husband for 20 years and he is perfectly healthy.

Amal

Oh my goodness - my wife's nails have always been like this since the day I met him and I never knew it had a name. Thank you for sharing! If it helps, I’ve known my husband for 20 years and he is perfectly healthy.
I’m reading a cardiovascular nursing practice book at work and came across “nail clubbing” again so it made me post haha

Latest profile posts

“The things I do for love.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
prior to proper preparations results to better performance
Max
Ecclesiastes 7:9
9 Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.
Don’t say money changed them, You didn’t text them when they were broke, Always remember that. Copied.
Supreme Court upholds Babu Owino win as the Embakasi East Member of Parliament.
Why did the physics teacher break up with the biology teacher? There was no chemistry.
Max
Her: Where did you get my number from?
Me: From the Bible, the book of Numbers
Max
Wife:uko na text.
Hubby:Please Nisomee.
Wife:"Equity bank" anauliza amefika poa.